Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Comfortable Walking Shoes - Summer Trip to Europe

Barcelona, June 2012
I went to Europe this June and had a hard time finding fashionable walking shoes.  Several travel blogs suggested I purchased a pair of Superga Cotu Classics so I did.  After a few wears, I didn't feel they'd be quite comfortable enough.  Plus, my feet swell a lot when I walk so I didn't want anything that covered my toes.  I considered bringing my white and hot pink trusty running shoes since they are sized for swelling (Brooks Glycerin 9) but I thought they would scream "Hi, I'm American!"  I also own a pair of black Birkenstock Gizehs but I didn't have the chance to break them in on time.  For me, it takes a while to break in my Birkenstocks.  

I ended up buying a pair of Born Saffron gladiator style sandals.  They were actually pretty comfortable for a few miles.  I also thought they were cute for a comfort shoe.  However, we walked a lot (about 3 to 5 miles a day).  The Borns didn't cut it as the soles are not very thick and there isn't much arch support.  The balls of my feet hurt and I ended up buying a pair of Clarks Active Air Sandals while I was in Madrid.  I bought the Robe Neon style.  It's a little bulkier than I would liked but it felt like I was walking on little pillows.  They are ultra-cushioned and the style makes it easy to adjust the tightness around my foot in different locations.  Now that I am back, I'm not sure how often I'll wear them (maybe to Disneyland?).  But I am so glad I had them in Spain!  Unfortunately I don't think they offer the Active Air style in the U.S. although there are a lot of other cute Clarks styles.  I ended up alternating the two sandals, using the Clarks when I knew we'd be doing a lot of walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment